Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Management

For the last nine months I've been learning to manage people. Projects, I understand. Deadlines make sense to me. Managing people is a whole new foray.

I started over summer, co-managing two designers. Then, the school year started and I began managing four designers on my own. Later, to even out the numbers, I was only managing three designers.  Then, we hired a few more people. Now, I'm managing four again.

I really enjoy the guys I'm managing. Three out of four I can razz and sass when they're late on things and they get it done. The fourth is a little more sensitive and a little harder to manage. I'm not going to go into detail, as that would be unethical.

This is the second time I've managed a staff, and the first time I've done it successfully. When I managed a budding new newspaper staff, I didn't know what I was doing, they didn't know what they were doing and none of us knew anything about running a newspaper. I'll be honest. It was a nightmare for all of us.

I'm glad that my second run at it has been much more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment